"On a Roll, Sausage Roll!" Shortcut recipe for Flakey, Golden Sausage Rolls.

Sausage_Rolls_by_Girl_in_a_food_frenzy.jpg

On a roll, Sausage Roll. The perfect snack or meal to go.

SausageRolls&PoppySeedGarnish.jpg

Garnish those layers of flaky pastry, with these poppy seeds.

Hello 2014! Cue echo of a dozen champagne bottles hitting the recycling tub?

I don’t know about you, but it’s somewhat hard to relinquish the days of sleep-ins and lazy summer nights. I’ve been enjoying some quiet time with family in Tasmania, that beautiful apple aisle of Vineyards, Cheese farms and endless feasting with family & loved ones. I dare say we all agree, that there’s nothing lovelier than fresh country air after the busy city life!

Especially when it’s the festive season and there’s a lot of merriment, good food and good company to be enjoyed too.

Josef_chromy_vineyards_and_winery.jpg

Josef Chromy.

Josef Chromy Winery

There are those moments when only wine will do…

josefchromy.jpg

Cheers big ears. Talk, chatter and wine with my brother at our favourite vineyard.

…and those moments when only a talk with your best girlfriends will do…

StillwaterCafe.jpg

Stillwater Cafe’s Tuna Tartare with wasabi pea mash, goats cheese & micro greens.

sausagerolls.jpg

Remember delicious flaky, golden & buttery Sausage Rolls?

Although the holiday season has passed, it still feels like we’re eating delicious food… (Who am I kidding, we’re always eating delicious food!)

You know that moment when you assess the contents of your fridge and freezer, after catering for the odd BBQ, dinner or drinks catch up. Sometimes there’s a half pack of sausages, a few condiments and cheeses, the odd tub of sour cream and hopefully…lots of leftover wine.

Sometimes, there lurks a snack monster somewhere in our house, that would be me & not the boyfriend ;) Though, truth be told, I often wonder what to do with those half packs of leftovers myself.

If you should happen to love a Short cut Recipe, then these golden, flaky & buttery Sausage Rolls, might just do the trick.

Think of these as a rather dressed up version of that old childhood fave, Piggies in a blanket. Perfect for making use of odd ends & leftovers. Whether it be a short cut lunch, a packed picnic lunch or simply because your inner snack monster says so!

shortcut_recipe_sausage_rolls.jpg

A smart & easy shortcut recipe for golden, flaky & buttery sausage rolls.

Ingredients:
Uncooked Sausages, (mix of beef, lamb & rosemary,) any will do.
1/2 sheet of puff pastry (per roll.)
Condiments to seal it together. Mustard & Tomato sauce work well.
Butter, to brush the tops,
Poppy seed garnish (optional.)

Want more uses for Leftovers? Then check out this Great Sandwich Hack for more tasty ideas.

Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter1Google+2Pin on Pinterest0Email to someone

Comments

1. says

Holy bajinkas… Tuna Tartare with wasabi pea mash, goats cheese & micro greens…. #getinmybelly NOW!!! I adore tuna. Drooling, actually drooling at the thought. :) However, that is not the reason I am here. You lured me in with sausage rolls… Being half time 2014, craving holidays and a break, I figure the best way to do that, is to cook all the things I would eat when on a break. Haven’t had a good sausage roll in forever, will be changing that this weekend. Happy Thursday lovely one. Hope you are well. :)

• says

Ha ha! I’m a big fan of old school favourites and for me sausage rolls are at the top of the list. These are really just a fancy pants, piggy in a blanket, but they’re just as tasty! Promise! By the way, the Tuna Tartare was at stillwater Restaurant in Tassie, one of the State’s best fine diners for sure.

2. says

Oh my gosh. I love tuna tartare (and sausage rolls, but indulge me for a second… that picture was mesmerizing!). Love the idea of the wasabi pea mash too… I can imagine that the combination would’ve been perfect! Now, back to the sausage roll goodness: these look delicious. Great shortcuts Ali… pigs in a blanket = joy! xx

• says

Lol, piggies in a blanket are truly the best! I just love that we all still recognise how good they are, even into adult hood! The wasabi pea mash and tartare are from a beautiful restaurant in Launceston, Tas. My hometown.

I used to go to this cafe when I was younger, before it eventually became fine dining. Technically I’ve been going there on and off, over the years!

3. says

These seriously look INCREDIBLE. They remind me of Bagel Dogs, except with a light, flaky shell rather than a heavy bagel bread. I am absolutely making these ASAP. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

4. says

Oh gosh, I haven’t had pigs in a blanket for the longest time! These look great – so much more sophisticated than the versions I ate as a kid. I’ll have to make some soon!

5. says

It looks and sounds like you have made the most of your holiday break. Loved the video as usual…the point being that they are not the usual. You are such a clever girl. :)

• says

Hi Karen, likewise I truly hope you’ve enjoyed the start to the new year too! My videos are okay, but whenever I see them (there’s always) a number of things I wish I could better. It’s one of my goals for 2014 to learn and better myself!

6. grabyourfork says

Naww these are almost like pigs in a blanket! I love a good sausage roll – with plenty of tomato sauce too!

• says

Absolutely! Summertime was made for tasty treats, baked goodies by the beach and nibbles and cocktails with pals. We’re so lucky that we get a delicious extension of the holiday season here down under :)

7. says

Oh my god, Alice! Will you never cease to amaze me?? Such a simple idea, yet so brilliant! I’m thinking I need to make some of these sausage rolls for the Downton Abbey premiere Sunday evening. You’re holiday break looked like a wonderful time! Oh how blissful, beautiful and glorious! Delicious food and great wine–now that’s a HOLIDAY. ;)
    Happy New Year, my friend! xox

• says

Likewise Sriprae!I feel so lucky to be starting the new year and enjoying so many delights and treats! I hope you’ve had a brilliant holiday and that your year is an amazing one, filled with opportunity, yummy things and love!

• says

I like that theyre like a fancy piggy in a blanket. Totally possible to make form odds and ends after a bbq or the odd breakky fry up. Hope your 2014 went off with a delicious bang. lol! Street food mania is the only way to enjoy HK!

8. says

That all looks so delicious. I want some of it all. Can’t wait to get back in the kitchen and start cooking again. Starting therapy on my broken shoulder next week, so in a month I’ll be chopping vegetables again. Oh, how I miss vegetables. Hard to get good ones with delivery fast food.

• says

It certainly sounds like you’re on the mend! For me its a bit of appetite, will and want! I’ve no doubt it was hard during the busiest time of the year so Kudos to you and I hope that kitchen is pumping out some yummy things soon :)

9. says

Those sausage rolls look delicious and I love the idea of poppy seeds on top. I could make these with veggie sausages, something I’ve never even thought of before. Thanks for the recipe Alice, it looks as if you had a great time in Tassie. :-)

10. says

All very delicious food here and nice Laguiole silverware- We’ve not stopped eating in holiday mode yet. Maybe when school starts for my daughter next week? I will say we have stopped eating sugar cookies with royal frosting- step in the right direction.

• says

Thanks Wendy! You have a good eye ;) That cutlery set is one of my prides & joys, I will endeavour to keep adding to it too. As for tasty things, Australia has another long weekend coming up and summertime is usually official party time!

Sugar cookies with royal icing, that’s my kinda thinking!