The Serpent's Table & Recipes for a Happy Chinese New Year.

Kung Hei Fat Choi and many you enjoy these recipes for a Happy Chinese New Year too!

I write at the tail end of a busy project. Indeed, it’s one of the most exciting accomplishments I’ve been a part of, during my time as a designer. I’m both grateful, saddened, excited and relieved to see it to fruition.

The Serpent’s Table combined so much of my current loves and passions, in Food Styling, Storytelling, Asian Culture, Traditions & more. The more bit, would be the set, the costumes, the ever evolving task of working with an incredible team to make it all happen. Yay Team!

A year & a half can go by so quickly… That is how long this journey took us to get to Sydney Festival 2014.

In regards to all ‘other’ things traditional for the actual Lunar New Year, you might remember my all time favourite tradition for festive eating? Including the Lo Hei ‘Prosperity Noodle Toss!’

Long Noodles for long life,
Carrots for Wealth.
Cucumbers for luck
Spring (onions) for cleverness,
and so much more!!!

Just in case you missed the previous post and recipe from 2013, clicking the picture below will take you to these Longevity Noodles.

LongevityNoodlesLoHei.jpg

Longevity Noodles, for a long life.

Lo Hei & the Prosperity Noodle Toss

I’ve also round up a few of my favourite recipes from all the year round. Including some quick & easy meal ideas for Asian eggs on rice.

asianeggsandrice.jpg

Recipe for classic at home, asian eggs & rice.

…For those days you want to get into a pickle. Do you remember my experimentation with Homemade Kimchi for Beginners, (again, click the picture below) to go direct to the link.

homemade kimchi.jpg

Getting in a pickle, Homemade Kimchi for beginners.

Lastly, because we want to end the Year of the Snake on a sweet note, a classic recipe for the very tasty Sticky black rice, with salted peanuts & kaffir lime. Recipe via picture link…

StickyBlackRice.jpg

Sticky black coconut rice, with salted peanuts & kaffir lime leaves.

However you choose to welcome in the Year of the Horse, I genuinely hope that you enjoy these recipes and (perhaps,) they might make it onto your list of international & Asian cuisines for the New Year. Just remember that it’s always lucky to wear red underpants during this time. That you can never eat too much yum cha. That it’s totally okay to accept money in red packets from strangers, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_envelope (and return them too!)

And if you should happen to see a bunch of revellers tossing noodles at a table, shouting out in glee and wishing at the top of their lungs…well come on over and say hi ;)

More links for The Serpent’s Table:

Food For Thought in SMH

Share on Facebook3Tweet about this on Twitter4Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email to someone

Comments

1. says

Wow. What an amazing post. I’m kinda… uh, completely out of the loop when it comes to Chinese new year but I am amazed by the cultural significance of every dish that’s consumed during the period. Love your introduction to longevity noodles and the other bits and pieces. Now I want to attempt to make some of this stuff… yummm! Happy CNY. Albeit late. But anyway…

• says

Lol, as long as there’s always noodles in my life, I will always love CNY. In fact, I really surprised my parents with my version of the recipe once, I think they were pleasantly surprised because (growing up,) I always cooked cuisines other than asian food.

I’m thrilled you enjoyed the post, it seemed to really resonate with folks around the world. Plus who wouldn’t want to make a huge mess at the end of their meal!

• says

Thank you Mama for the vote of confidence. It’s hard being the non asian cook (in my asian family.) As my dad’s been a chinese chef for 30+ years, it’s often daunting to publish my own recipes, in comparison to his. As for the lucky money if you started the trend in your household, I’m certain it would catch on! ;)

2. says

What a great recap. I’ve been making a kimchi that follows just about what you have here pretty regularly and we love it. It would be great on those Asian eggs. That’s next up for me! Yummy post!

• says

Thank you Wendy! (I’m still very impressed by your giant apple press and the cool bottle of cider.) When I was younger, I used to recoil at the tubs of kimchi my mum made at home. As I got older, I saw it as a real craft to learn.

The eggs are a traditional snack and the Cantonese version of the son in law eggs!

3. says

Alice, oh my gosh, I love all of this!!! especially the Lo Hei Noodle toss!! and love what it represents! we do something similar to the money in red packets. . for Koreans, on New Year’s Day, kids are supposed to bow to their parents, grandparents, etc . . we wish them good luck and prosperity for the new year and give them money! Happy New Year (a little early)!

• says

Thank you Alice! I’d imagine you have quite a bit of lunar new year prep for family & loved ones…and then there’s game day! I love the traditional Hanbok and dresses for Korean festivities. No doubt your adorable girls will be dressed up in their finest as they practice the new year traditions!

4. says

Kung Hei Fat Choi, Alice, and thank you for making me desperate for noodles! The Serpent’s Table is an amazing production, and a theatre where they feed you tasty fare sounds right up my street. :-) Your recipe videos have me longing for Chinese food, I miss having an Asian supermarket near me (I had a great one in Edinburgh when I lived there but where I live now has nothing like it). I’d love to try both the eggs on rice dish and also the beautiful tossed noodles. Yum!! I also wish I had some red pants (does pink count?).

• says

Hi Lorna! A very happy Chinese new year to you too :) I hope you find a supplier of delicious Asian treats sometime soon. I must admit it’s a bonus being here in Sydney, Chinatown! Even back in my home town it’s trickier to find some of the specialised ingredients…but then my folks have a Chinese restaurant so there’s no need for me to cook!

Yes, anything pink totally counts for CNY too :)

5. says

Congratulations on your project, it sounds so interesting and beautiful.
    Also your recipes are delicious and I want to eat them all…right now…for breakfast! :)
    Kung Hei Fat Choi and I hope 2014 is full of even more accomplishments and happiness.

• says

Thank you so much for your kind comments. It’s exactly that, the first project which combined by loves of food styling, design and theatre into one. I hope you continue to enjoy the recipes here. Happy Cooking!

• says

Lol, they’re pretty good aren’t they! My mum and dad used to give us a version of this as an after school snack. I’ve tweaked it to suit my tastes today. Just can’t go past chilli & eggs!

Trackbacks